Monday, February 26, 2007

1918 Examination for Common Schools

Examination for Common-School Diplomas.

RURAL SCHOOLS.

--------------

Saturday, April 6, 1918.



These questions are to be used only on the above date. The questions for each day must be opened in the presence of a majority of the examining committee as required by law.

An average of 80 per cent with no grade below 60 per cent is required for graduation. Grades of 80 per cent or more may be carried for two years.

Credit may be given on school work to the amount of 60 per cent in each subject.

The Subjects for Saturday, April 13, will be; a. m., Writing, Classics, United States History; p. m., Spelling, Grammar, Agriculture.

7 2642

W. D. ROSS,

State Superintendent of Public Instruction.


This test was given to students who were graduating from the eig hth grade from county schools in Kansas.

To see the actual questions, just follow this link: 1918 Examiniation for Common Schools

Here is a picture of Alice Gregory's Common School Diploma. She took a similar examination in the summer of 1928.

Alice tells:
"Back then we had to take our eighth grade exam on Saturdays in town and I didn't do it the first year. My folks just didn't take me. I wasn't very big. I wasn't HUGE like I am now…hehehe I was only 12. I didn't think anything about it and just went to school again the next year and took the eighth grade again. They didn't want me to go to high school because I was so young and so small."

-- Alice (Crabtree) Gregory
Editor's note: Alice is currently 92 years old and living in Arizona. She is barely 5 ft. tall.

No comments: