Tuesday, July 17, 2007

People went to school longer in the Old Days

Question:

In the box of things you loaned me last time I was there, is a memento from the Shady Nook school dated 1906. It has Mae, Georgia, Arthur, Pearl, Ruth and Leah Bartlett all as pupils. Wouldn’t Grandma have been 20 years old that year??? Did those country school go clear through high school? I am just curious about why Grandma 20 years old and Georgia 17 years old would have been in school.


Answer:
Yes, Back in those days the older students went to school after farm work was done in the fall. My mamma went to school some years after she was 20. Gramma Bartlett told me 25. In Jewell County. I know that she was taking algebra but some crank in the district complained about the teacher taking time to teach high school subjects so she didn't get to finish. The older students would help with the younger ones so I think that it was unreasonable for a complaint.

It was soon after that that they moved to Cheyenne County. She and Aunt Georgia didn't go to school anymore . And Uncle Art had to farm. Some of the younger ones went to Parks and/or Benkelman high school. And then when Frances was ready for high school, grandma moved to St. Francis with her and Harry. I will ask Margaret if Harry finished 8th grade there--those years. Frances got married before she graduated.
Also Aunt Georgia moved in to town too and the girls went to school there. Margaret remembers the school there. She tells about coming home and telling about a little boy named "Blowey" in her class. (Wyndon Hurlock)

No comments: