Sunday, February 18, 2007

1925 - 1926 Prairie Rose School

1925-1926 – Teacher - Mabel Merklin – (in the New School House)
  1. Dorothy Ritchey
  2. Marlin Ritchey
  3. Tom Ritchey
  4. Wayne Ritchey
  5. Edna MacDonald
  6. Henry MacDonald
  7. Pearl MacDonald
  8. Pete Focht – 6th grade
  9. Alice Crabtree – 7th grade
  10. Ethel Crabtree
  11. Lloyd Crabtree – 1st grade

Memories: There were the Ritcheys and Crabtrees and Pete Focht (His family – at Uncle Vester’s)

New Schoolhouse: The Summer or 1925 the schoolhouse was built. Big day! First spade-fulls of dirt! I think Lily Freemyer dug the first one. (or maybe she dug some while we were all there after the formal first spade-full was dug and tossed – by some man. (If that formality was even done) Anyhow, I remember the women were flabbergasted!! It was probably part of the jesting, I don’t know. But to a 10 year old, I saw it as a remonstrance - warning that it was too hard. (I had no idea 40 years later that I would dig most of the ditch for the drain from the basement we built the summer in the 1960s.)

No comments: